In 1852, Dr. Andrew Oliver built a large brick Italianate style house on Main Street in Penn Yan. This 18 room home was a wedding gift for his son, William, who also pursued a medical career. William had three children, Jennie, William (another doctor), and Carrie who lived their entire lives in the Oliver House. As none of these siblings had children, the family line ended with the death of Carrie in 1942. It was Carrie’s will that deeded the house to the village of Penn Yan.
Today the Oliver House features six period rooms furnished with an eclectic mix of the Oliver’s belongings and the collections of the Historical Society. Guided tours are available.
Five major rooms in the house, many with original furnishings, are maintained as Victorian period rooms on permanent display. Other rooms contain a Native American exhibit as well as changing local history exhibits.
Families with children are welcome. The museum has a lot of things to make exploring and learning fun for kids.